Off the top of my head I literally know 10 women who are either pregnant, or just recently had babies. Assuming those 10 women know another 10…that’s a lot mamas and a lot of babies.
And the reason I am sharing a breastfeeding mom’s secret, appropriately named Not-Your-Mothers-Chocolate-Chip Cookies, or Lactation Cookies for short.
When I had only been a mom for 12 days someone shared with me a recipe for lactation cookies that instantly became a staple in my diet. Everyday on maternity leave I would wake up and eat two of these cookies along with a glass of ice-cold chocolate milk.
Yes, I put ice in my chocolate milk and it drives Ryan up the wall. He thinks it’s gross and weird, but I don’t like chocolate milk unless it’s ice-cold.
Early on my leave, we had friends over for dinner who had a 4 month-old little girl. As a gift, and because she knew I was breastfeeding, the mom brought me a tub of these lactation cookies along with a recipe card. It’s been one of the best gifts anyone has given me!
When it finally came up in conversation a couple of days later that the cookies didn’t have any milk in them whatsoever, he told me what was going through his mind that night.
I laughed so hard I cried.
The good news is they’re a somewhat healthy version of a chocolate chip cookie. Even though my breastfeeding journey is about over, and I’m past the point of worrying about whether or not Little Foot is getting enough nourishment, I still enjoy them from time-to-time.
Whip up a batch and let me know what you think!
Not Your Mothers Chocolate Chip Cookies
½ c melted coconut oil
¾ c brown sugar
2 Tbs flax seed
2 Tbs water
1 Tbs vanilla
1 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
3 Tbs Brewer’s Yeast
1 ½ c whole oats
½ bag dark chocolate chips
- Put melted coconut oil and brown sugar in bowl and mix together
- In a separate small bowl add flax seed with water and sit aside while you mix together other ingredients
- Add egg and vanilla to coconut oil and brown sugar mixture
- Add flour, salt, Brewer’s Yeast, and flax seed to wet ingredients – mixture will be fairly dense
- Once mixed, stir in oats and chocolate chips
- Spray cookie sheet (or use a silicone liner!) and roll dough into balls.
- Bake at 350 for 11 min